Ogwell Memorial Hall
Where are we ?
The Hall is situated in the ‘old’ part of East Ogwell opposite The Old Post Office and The Old Bakery and 100 metres up from the Jolly Sailor Public House. Postcode TQ12 6AJ. Parking is limited outside the Hall but street parking is available.
What facilities have we got ?
Main Hall 10m x 5.4m (wood floor)
Devon Room 10m x 4.6m (carpeted)
Jubilee Room 6.6m x 4.3m (carpeted)
Kitchen (large and well equipped)
There are toilet facilities for adults, children and those with a disability, and buggy/ wheelchair access to all public spaces.
Blackout and screen facilities are available in the Devon Room
What does it cost to hire ?
Main Hall, Devon Room & Jubilee Room – each costing £21 for each morning, afternoon or evening session. The charge includes electricity, heating and the use of tables and chairs.
There is an additional charge for the use of the Kitchen and equipment (oven etc) facilities depending on requirements.
Tables and chairs may be borrowed for use outside the Hall.
Who uses the Hall on a regular basis at the moment ?
Garden Society, Luncheon Club, Parish Council, Pre-School, St Bartholomew’s Church,
U3A (University of Third Age), Women’s Institute, Table Tennis and Ogwell Choir. The Hall is also hired for one-off family events and celebrations by local residents.
Who should I contact for more info ?
Bookings Clerk, Eileen Deveau on 01626 438592 or e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brief History of the Hall
It is thought that the hall was originally The Old Rectory then later The Old Parsonage before becoming the East and West Ogwell Church of England School around 1853. A school for the “education of children and adults or the children of labouring and other poor class”
It remained a school until the Devon Education Committee decided to close it in 1957. Ten years earlier at a Parish Meeting on 22nd May 1947 it had been decided to start a fund to provide an Ogwell War Memorial Hall. There followed various fund raising events over the next 10 years including whist drives, dances, raffles and fetes. When the school was closed and the premises put up for sale another Parish Meeting held on the 29th May 1957 considered buying it, but with only £477.00 in the fund, a sale price of £600.00 and another £577.00 needed for adaptions and equipment it could not be afforded.
However a Parish appeal raised £143.00 and the education Authority provided a grant and further fund raising enabled the Parish eventually to buy the old school in April 1959. It was decided to rename it The Ogwell Memorial Hall in remembrance of the “fallen in East and West Ogwell during the First and Second World Wars”. It was formally opened on 15th July 1961, by Lt. Col. L.H.M. Gregory. M.B.E.
Various additions and improvements have been made over the years including the opening of the Jubilee Room in January 1977, building on the Devon Room in 1987, extending the Kitchen in 1989, and, with the benefit of a National Lottery Grant upgrading the heating and electrics, and opening up a small external play area in 2011. In 2012 the kitchen was fully refurbished.